Saturday, January 7, 2012

War Paint : An Essay In Words & Photos


For the most part, I don't wear makeup on the weekends.

Honestly, most Saturdays it's lunchtime before I realize that I forgot to brush my teeth. Eew, right? If I had to guess, I'd say I forget because I don't follow the same routine on weekends that I do Monday - Friday. Nowhere to go, no schedule to follow, and no need to look pretty for anyone except the hubs.

It's like living life as two entirely different people, depending on the day of the week. Weekday Jen wants the right outfit with the right shoes, the perfect accessories, and the most presentable version of herself that she can muster. Weekend Jen waits until she knows that Chris is definitely on his way home before she even combs her hair.

All of that being said, I like wearing makeup, damn it. I like the whole transformation process, and I like the finished product.

This'll probably reverse 60 years of progress for the modern woman, but I feel more confident when I have a little makeup on. I can handle major bullshit with the help of black eyeliner and red lipstick. Like I'm ready for battle, you know? Brains: check! Beauty: check!

The girls live to play with makeup. Theirs or mine, they're not picky because it all makes them feel pretty. This evening when they got cranky, I got out the makeup (theirs AND mine) and set out a mirror in the hallway and we all put on our faces before Daddy got home from work.
No, Miles didn't put any makeup on. He did suck on every lipgloss within reach though
She's really doing well with coloring inside the lines, as you can tell
Is a tiara appropriate for this occasion? Um. Yes.
"Always set your makeup with some translucent powder" - Granny when I was a kid
Do most mothers let their kids play with Mommy's Holy Trinity of beauty? (FYI mine are this, this, and this in 'Hellbent'). I don't really know, but I'm glad that I let mine do it. They have a blast, and I have a good excuse to spend money at Sephora afterward.

Plus the photos are pretty phenomenal!

Marlee:
Notice that the 'BEFORE' shot features a chocolate pudding half 'stache...
Mia:

Her skin sparkles like she's a vampire
Mommy:

Makeup apparently makes me look a lot skinnier too. I'm fucking awesome at contouring.

Now I have to get back to my stay-in date with the hubs, but I have to know: What 3 staples make up your Holy Trinity of beauty?

9 comments:

  1. omg...I'm about to pee myself laughing at this one! You girls all look drop dead gorgeous....um could you please come contour 50lb off my ass?

    1 - eyeliner
    2- translucent powder
    3 - great lipstick!

    xoxo -Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it Girl!!! Hey can you msg me your contour tips, so need it lol Happy Blogging ;p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol I just flippen love this!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm the same way. Funny though, it was YEARS before I let my husband see me with out any makeup! I'm a red head, so foundation is a must to cover up those freckles. Then probably eyeliner and lots of mascara. I'm not great at applying it, but feel naked without it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMGosh, I love it. Freaking Hilarious! I do have one prob, I never look 100 lbs lighter when I "war paint and contour".. what products do you us! hehehe
    Okay three products.

    Foundation

    Mascara

    Lipstick...(which you can also use a dab as rouge) :D

    your killing me Jen, I loved this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. loved this! And it was nice to see a picture of you- I don't know why, but in my mind you had long blonde hair-lol.

    I don't wear a lot of make-up but in my routine I require:

    1) oil-free face cream
    2) lip gloss
    3) mascara
    3) purple eye shadow (cause I have green eyes and it makes them 'pop'

    See, I can count too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The incontinence pads. 3 kids destroyed my bladder and now I pee myself. Who has room for lipstick with those suckers in your purse?

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Marianne Ever reached into your purse and pulled out a tampon thinking it was Chapstick? Hi, my name is Jen and I'm an Olympic gold medalist in the awkward moments event...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm really love reading these every night before I go to bed. I don't really wear any make-up but when I do it's Mascara, eyeliner and some lip gloss. I love the photo's of your girls and you they are priceless!!!

    ReplyDelete

Look at you, leaving a comment on the ole blog! Awww!