Monday, January 23, 2012

Happy Campers

I'd like to make a confession about last night's blog piece: I almost didn't post it. 

The title was saved a few weeks ago when I came up with the idea, but even then, I had this bitchy inner voice that nagged "Sure, some might relate to the fact that your house is in shambles, but there will be more who actually clean their houses and fix things when they're broken. Those readers? They'll judge you, and they'll hate you." So I chickened out - and I almost chickened out again last night.

Then all of a sudden, it hit me that I really don't give a flying fuck if people are impressed with my housekeeping skills and I hit PUBLISH POST. Why should I even pretend that I enjoy doing something that has brought me nothing but misery since childhood? I hate to clean and I have the stained carpet to prove it, folks!

Seemingly, a lot of people feel the same way - or at least got a good laugh out of the lack of prioritization that goes on in our house. Thank you BlogHer!


And!!! If you follow this link, the ole blog is right there at the top. They even put this sweet bit of flair on it like an award. (Sidenote: Just now, thinking of this as an award I got to imagining what I'd say in my acceptance speech... but snapped out of it upon realizing my kids would definitely pull a Kanye and ruin it for me. Probably because they need bologna sandwiches or something.)


When I got home, I had another awesome surprise waiting as a direct result of last night's blog post.

One of these things is not like the other...
Chris decided to fix the silverware drawer. What a stud, right? He's so macho...

And then, to reward himself for his electric drill handiwork, he felt me up. I just stood there, eyes rolling in boredom. "Come on, babe! It takes all of the fun out of it when you don't fight back!" Spoken like a true pervert.

*****

The kids have a small tent. They got it for Christmas a few years ago from one of the great-aunts and they absolutely love it. Our tent is set up and taken down about 5 times each day as of late. Only problem with said tent? Someone always ends up crying after being in the tent for a while.

Isn't that like every God damn camping trip you've ever been on though? Hmm...OK, well it is for me.

Tonight, I had this brilliant plan to keep the kiddos occupied (detour them from their typical early evening knock down, drag-out) while I ate a sandwich: Why not let them each pack a bag of supplies to take on their upcoming tent adventure? 


Nothing in the house was off limits. We just told them to choose things that they thought they'd need if they went camping, and put it in their bags. And to please stop screaming at each other...
Miles: 1 blue plastic phone, 3 packets of soothing oatmeal bath treatment, 1 boot, and 3 pieces of cat food
Looks like Daddy's not the only fella in this house who's man-crushing on Bear Grylls. He's what outdoorsy types would refer to as a survivalist. The bare minimum - that's all Miles needs on a camping trip. And his thumb. He's my thumb sucker!
Marlee: 1 pair of gold sneakers, 1 Pampered Chef spatula thing, 5 crazy straws, 2 books, 1 ladybug mug, and a box filled with her big sister's makeup
Mar is my diva. Even if she's walking through a field of poison ivy, sista's going to be rocking the shit out of some gold shoes!

If she were older, I'd guess that she had the makings for a really awesome party in her Dora backpack. I remember a few float trips where I packed similar items...back in the old days, before I had kids and grew tiger stripes on my belly...

Mia: 1 blanket, 1 doll, 1 pillow pet, 1 canteen, 1 hair tie, 2 books, 1 sandwich box, 1 basket, and MOMMY'S makeup bag
True to her status as firstborn, Mia is the responsible child. Chickie packs the most practical items, even attempting to cram a little extra even though the bag is already overflowing. She packs just like her mama. I was bursting with pride!

MARLEE: I know! We can pack Minnie for da camp out!
MIA: Marlee, don't be dumb. I'm packing only needs, not wants. You should too.
MARLEE: Ok...Hey, how 'bout cookies?!
MIA: Good job, Mar Mar! We do need food!

Somehow, the cat ended up in a backpack anyway...
What did the kids do once they'd finished packing their camp out bags? Well...
They had a blast - that's what they did! Then bedtime arrived, and of course, so did the tears. The difference in their camping trip and the camping trips I've been on (besides beer)? For them, the tears start when it's time to come out of the tent for bedtime. For me, the tears come when it hits me that I'm sleeping in a God damn tent.

*****

Hey - who's checked out the AMAZING sponsors currently featured on High Heels & Dirty Dishes? 

Everyone, right? I surely hope so because these ladies are seriously talented. The only thing that I can make with my own two hands is a mess... If you haven't already done so, please click on the designers' ad boxes on the right side bar!

Tonight, I'd like to announce the very first giveaway on the ole blog, courtesy of Deb from Hoshii Designs! Score! (Score for you, not for me. I've decided to exclude myself from the giveaway just so that no one can say that I played favorites. Because I love you, and I'm a really nice person!)

The Rising Sun Wristlet by Hoshii Designs
 This guy here is made from 100% wool felt, with no applied post processing and sells for $40.00 online. 

And yes, though this super cute bag is classified as a wristlet or a clutch, I'm pretty sure he's male. How do I know? Durable on the outside, soft on the inside, and fits right in the palm of your hand. Booyah!

One winner will be selected via random number generator and announced on Wednesday night right here on the ole blog.

To enter the giveaway, simply leave a comment and finish this sentence:
"My idea of camping is ..."

Until then, check out the Hoshii Designs Facebook and Twitter pages for current promotions like limited time free shipping, and on Etsy to view newly listed items like the ones pictured below!


34 comments:

  1. I definately need a camp out and for your kids to help me pack! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. "My idea of camping is ..." the Holiday Inn! Electricity, coffee in the room, tv, & air conditioning! I sacrificed room service at least!


    Great post......and kudos to Chris on the silverware drawer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the feature! I thought it was great! And instead of me judging you, I'll see your busted cabinet, and raise you mold in the storage room. Ka. Pow. (Also, doesn't everyone take 3 pieces of cat food on a camping trip? Duh.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My idea of camping is....don't!! Last time I slept in a tent it poured all night long, complete with a leak above my head.uugh NEVER again!! But, I certainly loved watching your girl's pack for it. Great blog, Jenn. I'm so proud of you tonight, I could burst!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow a featured post & a camping trip, you are a lucky woman. Congrats!
    My idea of camping is a cabin with no T.V. I can manage without a microwave but not without AC/Heat, running water & I'd prefer internet. Can you tell I'm not a fan of camping?

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all - Congratulations on the recognition!

    My idea of camping is... vastly different than when I was younger. I used to need a tent, a sleeping bag and a can of beans. Some hot dogs would've been nice too. Now? I would need several layers of warm and cozy under and over me, real food and a guarantee of pleasant weather.

    (Congrats on the fixed drawer,too, btw. I think I may start posting pictures of my busted up house to shame the husband into action!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My idea of camping is good friends and lots of good food!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm.....My idea of camping these days are dragging the redneck camper down to the camp grounds a little past clinton. Once we get down there and start cooking our hamburgers I alwayrs realize that I have yet again forgotten a spatula or any utinsels whatsoever. It seems like every single time we get to go camping we forget something. Ahh, well forgotten utinsels or toothbrushes are'nt the worst things that have happened camping/floating! lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. CAMPING???? oh heck NO! Crying & hysteria ensues now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love your blog....hilarious! As far as my camping....maybe in a cabin in the woods with electricity and heat. I love the idea of the outdoors, but hate the reality! - Joy

    ReplyDelete
  11. My idea of camping is.......... A tent some fluffy pillows and enough beer that nothing else matters!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats, that's awesome! I really enjoy your blogs btw.

    Well my idea of camping is putting up a tent in the middle of the living room, making smores in the oven, and turning off the lights to give it that night time ambience. LOL I'm not the camping type, too many bugs and scary animals!

    Nichole J

    ReplyDelete
  13. My idea of camping is going so far out to no where that the stars are so bright and vivid that you can see them through your nylon tent. -Shannon Corvette White

    ReplyDelete
  14. I need to go on a camping trip and soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Marlee asked if we could go camping today. I told her that we would go camping in the summer. She then yelled at me me No we go camping in the tent!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My idea of camping is a tent with a sleeping bag and a bonfire...

    ReplyDelete
  17. My idea of camping is a 5 star resort.. that has child minding services. People who can (properly) camp with kids and enjoy it impress me. Heeheehee

    P.S LOVED reading your blog :)

    Tahli.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love camping.... my camping trip wouldnt be survivalist mode tho! I'd need as many comforts as possible :)

    Love the blog

    ReplyDelete
  19. My idea of camping is grabbing a few of my best friends once a year and spending four days just catching up and "roughing it" in a tent with a fire every night. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. My idea of camping is going out to the middle of no where with the whole family 1 mom and 5 kids 3 girls to one little playmor camper if you know what that is then you can imagine how crammed we were, and mom and the 2 boys in the other one. Staying up late catching up, laughing, roasting marshmallows and making smores, making fun of each other! Then when it comes time for bed the boys and mom go to bed while the girls go to their playmore and lay there........Me being the youngest gets the smallest bed with no room and smack your head on the ceiling when you sit up waiting.....waiting on the older sisters to beg me to come down and rub thier backs lol just to continue to go thru this process for 2 more days.........
    Thats my idea of camping!

    ReplyDelete
  21. My idea of camping is, friends, family late nights by the fire. RELAXATION! Love the blog by the way!!! It is AWESOME!
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  22. My idea of camping is on the river bank in a tipi. Biscuits and gravy with eggs on the campfire for breakfast. Floating down the river in a canoe, lunch on the bank of the river. Float back to camp site after exploring every island and river bank with the kids. Swimming until dinner time. Hotdogs and s'mores on the fire. Laying out under the stars and watching for shooting stars. This is the way it went my whole childhood. Can't waitvto go again this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sharing with family and friends !!!
    Gilma

    ReplyDelete
  24. My idea of camping is...no bugs. If camping could be done without bugs, I'd be all over it. I've been camping lots, in all weather, but it's always the damn bugs that get me.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I also wanted to add that you are certainly NOT the only one with a less than tidy home lol. You won't be seeing pictures of mine in House Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love your blog! My idea of camping...visiting friends at their campsite! I enjoy a cookout, boating, fishing, visiting with friends, s'mores around the campfire, then heading home to my own bed!

    ReplyDelete
  27. My idea of camping is roughing it and doing no dishes. Burn them in the camp fire! A win, win camping time.
    Paula :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. "My idea of camping is ..."
    warm, dry, with running water, working plumbing and refrigeration!
    Maybe more like a hotel!

    Oh- and messy-house-confessional- i hid dirty dishes in my oven when we had company the other day! ROFL!
    :)
    PS: Your mom sent me!

    ReplyDelete
  29. My idea of camping is grabbing a backpack. Everyone in my family is responsible for there own tools of survival. I know that I will be taking,a sleeping bag, polar fleece, potty paper, a small pot and filter to make fresh coffee in the morning and a small bottle of Frangelico to sip in the evening.
    Sorry not carrying anyone else's toothbrushes, cups, kleenex, sox, etc. You get the idea lol. Its all about self sufficiency.

    ReplyDelete
  30. My idea of camping is -not sleeping on the ground must have my cot, a cool shady spot and a chair an something to read.
    Love to read your blog!

    Robin McCune

    ReplyDelete
  31. My idea of camping is: Somewhere that has a bed, a shower, and a decent bathroom. Save the hiking and stuff for the daytime.
    ~Roz S.

    ReplyDelete
  32. ...a hotel near the campsite!
    gkuroda(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Donna Bonas Myers @facebook .comJanuary 30, 2012 at 7:44 PM

    champagne, 24 hour room service & the penthouse suite! When I'm dreaming! LOL! DBMyers xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. OHHH NO NO NO NO outdoor camping for me!! My idea of camping is spending the day locked in my room, eating breakfast and maybe lunch in bed & watching lifetime movies ALL day long w/no interruptions from anyone or anything!!!

    ReplyDelete

Look at you, leaving a comment on the ole blog! Awww!