Monday, January 20, 2014

Not Just For Nerds :)

{This post is brought to you by Netflix}

Do you realise that I haven't been sick at all this winter? True story. Excuse me while I pat myself on the back!

"It's really hard to congratulate someone who's already patting themselves on the back" - my boss

But back to not being sick thing - I'm insanely thankful for good health this year. Let's face it, when I'm sick, I tend to be a wee bit over dramatic. "I'm dying. I'm really dying. Make sure they play Free Bird at my funeral..."

When I'm sick though and I'm allowed to lie in bed all day? Documentaries. All day, err day.

I'm a binge watcher, and I love to rewatch all of my favorite movies (Say Anything... Don't try to play it cool. It's John Cusack. You love him, I love him. There's no shame in admitting it.), and series (House.Of.Cards. I cannot stress to you enough - you NEED to watch Season 1 RIGHT NOW because Season 2 starts 2/14.), but documentaries are the hidden gem of Netflix.

They have a buttload (similar to a metric ton) of documentaries, FYI. Even when I pull up my queue and there's just not anything that feels 'right', I know I can browse the documentaries and easily find 5 films that I want to watch.

The last 3 documentaries that I checked out:

  • Bill Cunningham New York - This film follows New York Times street style photographer as he rides his bicycle through the streets of the Big Apple, taking photos of the most fashionable people he encounters. His eye doesn't discriminate between high fashion and thrifted finds, and zeroes in on personal style and looks worn with confidence. It's not a film about fashion though - it's a film about a man who has made a career of taking photos. The guy is 80+ years old and he's adorable! His signature look? Cobalt blue windbreaker. Iconic.
  • Mansome - This doc surveys celebrities and average Joes about the grooming habits of males in modern society. What defines the metrosexual? How much grooming is still manly? The interactions between Jason Bateman and Will Arnett are hilarious, but nothing tops the Q & A sessions with Zach Galifianakis. "My dad always smelled like garlic and diesel fuel..." Same here, but jalapenos and diesel fuel. 
  • The Six Degrees of Helter Skelter - Six Degrees takes you on a guided tour of Los Angeles as it would've been in August 1969 as members of the Manson Family wreaked havoc on the City of Angels. Agreed, this probably isn't a film for everyone (crime scene photos), but Manson is one of my strange interests and I thought this was amazing. From Cielo Drive to the capture at Barker Ranch, guide Scott Michaels shows you the sights with little bits of 'did you know' trivia connecting the dots from celebrity to criminal. The Six Degrees of Helter Skelter mentions everyone from Mama Cass's boyfriend to James Dean to the 90s show Melrose Place. It's all connected and it's fascinating.
Next up in my queue? 
I'm probably going to owe the hubs big time if I can get him to watch the first two with me! Ugh... marriage... Documentary 3? He'll thank me. I'm sure of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Look at you, leaving a comment on the ole blog! Awww!